Jobs Vacancy United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime New Recruitment – Nigeria 2018
Career Recruitment – Jobs Vacancy United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime New Recruitment – Nigeria 2018
Job vacancy Nigeria: Jobs Vacancy United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime New Recruitment – Nigeria 2018
Job Description: Today Work Nigeria
The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime is a United Nations office that was established in 1997 as the Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention by combining the United Nations International Drug Control Program (UNDCP) and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Division in the United Nations Office at Vienna. It is a member of the United Nations Development Group and was renamed the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime in 2002.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Programme Officer – Monitoring and Evaluation (Terrorism Prevention)
Job ID: 19717
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: One year, renewable (subject to funding availability)
- This position is located in the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Country Office in Abuja, Nigeria (CONIG).
- Under the overall guidance of the UNODC Representative and the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the National Programme Officer (Terrorism Prevention) (NPO) will: (i) carry-out country based project monitoring and evaluation functions; (ii)provide substantive and coordination support for assigned project activities aimed at strengthening criminal justice responses to terrorism in Nigeria; (iii) carry out substantive and organizational liaison especially with the project’s national stakeholders, for assigned project activities; and (iii) provide support for the project’s overall coordination and implementation.
- S/he will work in close teaming with other colleagues of the project, in CONIG and in the Terrorism Prevention Branch of UNODC, to create synergy and achieve full coordination of project activities and effective project partnerships, especially with the project’s Nigerian stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- Carry out substantive and organizational liaison especially with the project’s national stakeholders for assigned project activities Support coordination on project activities planning and implementation, liaising with relevant national partners (including designated focal points and other senior professionals), and international partners present in Nigeria.
- Facilitate the smooth and effective flow of communication with national entities, by maintaining regular contact, providing required information, etc. Support the Project Manager and Project Staff in following-up communication with beneficiary institutions, including official letters, request for technical assistance, and the process of identifying participants and national experts, including trainers, for activities under the project.
- Advise the Project Manager and Project Staff of local considerations and realities for proper and effective project implementation, as well as on ways to strengthen partnerships with beneficiary institutions.
- Contribute to further project coordination and administrative actions, as needed to ensure efficient operations of the project including supporting, as needed, human resources and procurement actions.
- Carry out organizational and administrative tasks necessary for the achievement of expected results of the project. Provide the necessary substantive and administrative support to project activities as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Carry out field-based project monitoring and evaluation functions including on-going liaison with national stakeholders to support project monitoring and evaluation activities; carrying out continued monitoring exercises of project activities, and conducting analyses to monitor project impact.
- Conduct research, compile and prepare substantive papers and other relevant working documents related to monitoring and evaluation and other substantive areas, as needed.
- Contribute to the preparation of project reporting and briefing materials.
- Contribute to the substantive input and coordination for the planning, preparation, organization and implementation of project activities, supporting the Project Manager to ensure that all administrative and logistics arrangements are in place
Requirements, Skills and Experience
- G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 4 year(s) experience, I-Master’s Level Degree – 2 year(s) experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree) in International Relations, Public or Business Administration, Project Management, Law, Political or Social Science, Criminal Justice, Legal or related fields, is required.
- Candidates with a first-level university degree and at least four years of qualifying experience may be considered.
- A minimum of 2 years of progressive responsible experience in criminal justice, programme management, policy development or related work.
- Work experience in project monitoring and evaluation and substantive liaison and coordination in these areas would be an asset.
- Work experience in implementing capacity-building activities in Nigeria is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of UNODC work and work experience in the United Nations System would be an asset.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For the post advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset.
- Demonstrated professional competence in programme management and implementation, ideally with a focus on criminal justice; ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively with a range of audiences, including ability to prepare reports and make presentations in a variety of fora; ability to conduct presentations by clearly formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum necessary information as well as making and defending recommendations.
- Possesses excellent drafting and communication skills.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Proven interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of UNODC to achieve organizational goals; solicits inputs by genuinely valuing others ideas and expertise; demonstrates willingness to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate, and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands; able to work on tight deadlines; knowledge on how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary; uses time efficiently.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important Applicant Information
- All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Application Deadline 17th December, 2018.